British Columbia, Canada

We took another tour with Globus Journeys, this time for a wildlife safari in British Columbia. We later found out that this would be the last of this particular tour – too bad, because it was terrific, for us at least. We arrived on August 28 and met with the group that evening. The next day would begin the tour.

Friday, August 29

It was a very busy day today touring Vancouver; Chinatown, Gastown, Stanley Park, the Vancouver Aquarium, and a cruise on the Strait of Georgia past the Gulf Islands to Vancouver Island. When we arrived in Victoria, we toured the city including the Inner Harbour, Bastion Square and Thunderbird Park.

Saturday, August 30

Today we went on a whale watching cruise, then on to visit the beautiful Butchart Gardens.

Sunday, August 31

We drove across Vancouver Island to the “City of Totems”, Duncan, visited the Raptor Centre and Pacific Rim National Park, then drove on to Toffino.

Monday, September 1

We took a bear watching tour along the fjord inlets, visited the Kwisitis Visitors Centre and did a little beachcombing. The sunset from our hotel was spectacular.

Tuesday, September 2

The bus drove us to the east coast of Vancouver Island where we visited the Cathedral Grove, home to old growth trees, the biggest being 250 in height, 29 feet in circumference and 800 years old. From there we continued on to the Campbell River.

Wednesday, September 3

We drove to Telegraph Cove and took a cruise on the Johnstone Strait and the Blackfish Archipelago.  Telegraph Cove is considered the “Whale Watching Capital” of British Columbia. We also stopped for a bit to see some oddities – painted outhouses and old junk along a “trail”.

Thursday, September 4

Today was the highlight of our tour – we went on a grizzly bear tour. The tour included a boat ride to the Bute Inlet and went on to the grizzly bear tour with the Homalco First Nations.  We were supposed to get in a shuttle bus and be transported to a viewing platform. However, we saw a grizzly in the river on the way there and stuck around to view more grizzlies (16 in total) without ever leaving that spot.

Friday, September 5

We sailed back to the mainland through Horseshoe Bay and departed Vancouver the following day.