We made our way up to the Pando Forest today, one of the world’s largest living known organisms – an entire forest of Quaking Aspen trees from one huge underground root system. Being it is spring, and very early in the season at that, the trees were not in bloom, but they were still very pretty to look at in the snow near the top of a mountain.
On our way up to the Pando forest we read a digital highway sign warning of an impending severe winter storm. Wait, what? I started checking the phone and sure enough, a storm was headed our way. The plan we had to boondock near Pando was crushed. I called the KOA we were going to stay at next to see if we could add on tonight to our registration and was told it would be fine to do so. We took the chance and continued to drive up to the forest. Alan explored a little bit as I got some photos of the Pando, then we hightailed it out of there and headed to Salt Lake City, which was also in the path of the storm, but we figured we had a safer place there than on a mountain in the middle of nowhere.
We made it to the KOA in the cold rain – but no snow yet – and set up camp.