Thursday, July 20

In Norway, we took a bus to the train station. Then we took a modern train (2:20 hours) to Myrdal at an elevation of 2,800 feet. At Myrdal, we switched to the Flam Railway – on an old fashioned train (1:30 hours) to head back down to sea level. This train ride has 21 hairpin turns. The tracks/train was build in 1867. We stopped for a quick photo op at Kjosfossen Falls. Once at our final stop we picked the bus back up, stopping now and again for photo ops and lunch in Tvindefossen. For lunch we did a buffet, then walked a little bit in the town and got some little churros at a Mexican food truck. Haha. Then back on the bus for an almost 2 hr trip back to the ship. For dinner we had made reservations at Cagney’s Steakhouse on the ship.

Friday, July 21

Today we visited Geiranger, Norway. What a stunning location! We’d been down the fjords in New Zealand, but this place has it beat! Waterfalls everywhere and the mountains are green with only a hint of snow at the tops. We enjoyed a RIB (ridged inflatable boat) ride up the fjord, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. During the tour, we wore the requisite suits which made us feel like oompah loompahs.

On the ship, we attended the Mission Impossible game, where we were the only ones to participate. We also did Afternoon Trivia (we came in second), changed one of our Iceland excursions to accommodate Alan’s bad knee, we watched the Guestimations Game, and Karen had a “Monkey Business” cocktail and got her hair done.

Saturday, July 22

Today the ship stopped at Alesund. We took an electric bus to an electric ferry and crossed a large fjord. The crossing only took 12 minutes. We were then transported to a ski resort and went on a gondola for a two kilometer ride up a mountainside. At the top we got out and walked around and took pictures before boarding another gondola down. The bus took us to another ferry, which took the bus across the fjord. From there we we continued on to a buffet lunch. Afterward we drove back to Alesund. On the way around town, a car hit the bus, or visa versa, on a corner causing only a slight delay, neither vehicle suffered much damage. At Stranda we took a gondola to the top of Fjullstua Mountain for some stunning views and photos of the coastal city from above.

After we got back to the ship, we played a round of putt-putt golf.